Bio Heli Hietala was born in Södertälje, Sweden in 1970.
Her family moved back to Alajärvi, Finland in 1975.
There she finished her second form college in 1989.
After that she studied two years industrial design
in The Institute of Crafts and Arts in Kouvola.
In 1991 she moved to Helsinki to study industrial design as major subject and fine arts as minor subject in The University of Arts and Design (Aalto University nowadays). She finished her MA with the conceptual jewelry project “Promises”, in 2002.
She is using many mediums: sculpting, painting, jewelry, installation f.ex.
Materials may vary but most of her artworks are based on the idea of dissappearance.
Her projects have been exhibited in many museums and galleries in Finland and abroad f.ex.:
- Paintings in Porvoo Art Hall, Porvoo, Finland 2010, group exhibition with Krista Kortelainen.
- `The Spirits of Medicin Containers´ in Aine Art Museum, `Facing Limits´-selected group exhibition, SKjL, Tornio, Finland 2010 and in Vantaa Art Museum, `Never retired´-selected group exhibition, Vantaa, Finland 2009.
- `Insects´ in Riihimäki Art Museum, `Recycling´-selected group exhibition, SKjL, Riihimäki, Finland 2009,- - `Communication through Colours´ in Estonian Museum of Applied Art and Design ETDM in `Two Close Ones´, 4th Applied Art Triennial 2006, Tallinn, Estonia.
There are works on collections in City of Alajärvi and in Aalto University in Helsinki, Finland. In publications there are works in :
- `Two Close Ones ´, 4th Applied Art Triennial 2006, Tallinn Applied Art Triennial Society, ISBN
- `Finnish Jewellery´, Kaarin Bonde Jensen & Eija Mäkelä
- `Ateneum Maskerad ´, Pia Strandman, ISBN
- `Code´ -12 Styles 60 Small Domestic Appliances, Annu Ahonen ISBN